Another Way to Exit
January Partners provides business owners with a different way to realize liquidity than traditional private equity or a strategic sale. We supply both Liquidity and Leadership. Business owners may achieve liquidity and the ability to step back from daily management, while the company remains independent and grows under new leadership and a sophisticated board.
- Focus: We will only acquire one business rather than spread ourselves thin across dozens of portfolio companies.
- Leadership: Our principal will assume full time day-to-day management duties post acquisition.
- Independence: The company remains independent and employees and customers grow along with it.
- Long-Term: Our investors believe that building great companies takes time. We are not tied to the 3-5 year fundraising cycle of typical private equity groups.
- Experience: Our principal and investors know how to run and grow companies because they’ve done it themselves.
January Partners is financially backed by nearly 40 prominent investors who have invested together for 30 years in small- to medium-sized companies. Our investors consist of:
- 19 current and former CEO/Presidents
- 16 partners at institutional investment firms
- 5 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year award winners
- Professors at Harvard and Stanford business schools
Please visit our Team page to learn more about our principal and investors.
|Role of Owner||Flexible: full exit, consulting, board, etc.||Multi-year commitment||Division manager at best|
|Deal Terms||Flexible||High leverage||Cash & stock (lockup?)|
|Horizon||Long-term||3-5 years (fund life)||Unclear|
|Strategy||Growth||Financial engineering||Eliminate costs|
|Importance to Acquirer||Sole investment||Part of large portfolio||Division of big company|
|Governance||Energetic new leadership and board||Scrutiny by distant board||Layers of management above|
|Employees||Protected with more growth opportunities||Protected?||Layoffs likely|
|Culture||Preserved and enhanced||Uncertain||Bureaucratic|
|Brand||Preserved and enhanced||Preserved?||Disappears|
|Customers||Protected and strengthened||Preserved||Alienated|